FOODS THAT CLEANSE
It is true that the human body accumulates toxins from ingesting food, water and air. And, in this modern world of human made chemicals and industrial practices, alarming levels of toxins circulate in our bodies. Scientists aren’t sure if this chemical soup inside us is harmful or, if so, how harmful. More worrisome, no one is immune, not even people living in remote areas.
What is clear, however, is that detox schemes — such as fasting or extreme juicing or herbal cleaning solutions — do not seem to make any difference in removing toxins. This might be a good thing, because a sudden, true release of toxins from where they were stored could send the body into shock. Meet some foods and tips that would help you clean up your system and stimulate the liver to release detoxifying agents.
Fruits are high in liquid-content which helps the body wash out toxins. They are also very easy to digest and are high inantioxidants, nutrients, fiber, and important vitamins.
2.) Lemons, Oranges, and Limes:
Citrus fruit aids the body by flushing out toxins and jump-starting the digestive tract with enzymatic processes. Lemon juice supports the liver in its cleansing processes. To increase detoxification, start each morning with a warm glass of lemon water.
Remember, vitamin C is one of the best detox vitamins around, as it transforms toxins into digestible material. Eatvitamin c foodsoften to help get more of these benefits.Grapefruit has pectin which binds to heavy metals, helping to neutralize them for safe elimination.
3.) Whole grains:
Full of nutrients and antioxidants, whole grains are incredibly high in insoluble fiber, keeping you regular, which is especially important while detoxing.
This pungent little bulb is one of the best detoxing foods out there. It helps stimulate the liver into producing detoxification enzymes that help filter toxic residues from the digestive system. I recommend adding sliced or cooked garlic to a suitable dish, as this will help any detox diet.
5.) Raw Vegetables:
Best juiced or eaten raw: Onions, carrots, artichokes, asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, kale, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, garlic, beet, turmeric, and oregano. The combination of these foods will help your liver purge toxins during the cleansing process. These are high in naturally occurring sulphur and glutathione. Sulphur helps the liver detoxify harmful chemicals.Cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, kale, broccoli, etc.) neutralize some of the damaging compounds found in cigarette smoke and contain a compound that helps the liver produce adequate amounts of enzymes for detoxification.Carrots have beta-carotene which helps to cleanse the body of heavy metals. One of my favorite juices is carrot, apple, lemon and ginger.
6.) Seeds and Nuts:
Incorporate more of the easily digestibleseedsandnutsinto your diet. Flax seed, pumpkin seeds, almonds, walnuts, hemp seeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds, Siberian cedar nuts, and sunflower seeds are all excellent options. While detoxing, avoid nut butters.
7.) Omega-3 Oils:
Use hemp, avocado, olive, or flax seed oil while detoxing. This will help lubricate the intestinal walls, allowing the toxins to be absorbed by the oil, and eliminated by the body.
Your skin is an important route of elimination, and your body is capable of removing many toxins through your sweat. Vigorous exercise can help your body to sweat more while also enhancing circulation (as an aside, dry skin brushing may also help you to eliminate toxins through your skin by opening up and clearing out your pores). Along with a regular exercise program that encourages sweating, you can also experiment with yoga, which has specific poses designed to facilitate detoxification.
Top 10 tips to help your body detoxify
After a detoxification program, you can cleanse your body daily with these diet, supplements and lifestyle practices:
1. Eat plenty of fiber, including brown rice and organically-grown fresh fruits and vegetables. Beets, radishes, artichokes, cabbage, broccoli, spirulina, chlorella, and seaweed are excellent detoxifying foods.
2. Cleanse and protect the liver by taking herbs such as dandelion root, burdock and milk thistle, and drinking green tea.
3. Take vitamin C, which helps the body produce glutathione, a liver compound that drives away toxins.
4. Drink at least two quarts of water a day.
5.Breathe deeplyto allow oxygen to circulate more completely through your system.
6. Transformstressby emphasizing positive emotions.
7. Practice hydrotherapy by taking a very hot shower for five minutes, allowing the water to run on your back. Follow with cold water for 30 seconds. Do this three times, and then get into bed for 30 minutes.
8. Sweat in a sauna so your body can eliminate wastes through perspiration.
9.Dry-brush your skin or try detox foot spas/foot bathstone remove toxins through your pores. Special brushes are available at natural products stores.
10. What is the most important way to detoxify? “Exercise,” says Bennett. “Yoga or jump-roping are good. One hour every day.” Also try Qigong, a martial-arts based exercise system that includes exercises specifically for detoxifying or cleansing, as well as many other exercises with specific health benefits.
The author Prince
Hi, I’m Prince.. a registered Dietitian, an avid reader and a passionate writer. I hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoy writing them